Born on August 24, 1972, Ava DuVernay is an American filmmaker and film distributor who made her feature film debut in This is the Life (2008) and She is the first black female to be nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Director, and also the first black female director to have her film nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
She is the creator, director and co-writer of the miniseries When They See Us which is based on 1989 Central Park jogger case. For more information, read the article below.
Before Fame: She attended UCLA.
Ava DuVernay Ethnicity/Religion/Education
Ava was raised in Lynwood, Californiaby Darlene Maye and Murray Maye. She has four siblings.
Ava DuVernay Affair/Married/Husband
Her relationship status is not known at the moment. For more information, visit her twitter.
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) June 12, 2019
Profile / Wiki / Information
- Full Name: Ava Marie DeVernay
- Nicknames: Ava DuVernay
- Birthday: August 24, 1972
- Age: 46 years old (as of June 2019)
- Birthplace: United States
- Current Residence: United States
- Education: University of California, Los Angeles
- Profession: filmmaker and film distributor
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity/Race: Black
- Zodiac: Virgo
- Spouse/Husband: American
- Children: Not Available
- Net Worth: She is a millionaire
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) June 13, 2019
- Height: 5′ 5¾” (1.67 m)
- Weight: Not Available
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Brown
Trivia/ Facts that you probably didn’t know
- She is the founder of AFFRM, the African-American Film Festival Releasing Movement.
- She didn’t star film making until she was 32 years old.
- She is the first black female to be nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Director, and also the first black female director to have her film nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
- She is the winner of 2012 Sundance Film Festival for her second feature film Middle of Nowhere.
- She is the first black-American woman to direct a live-action film with a budget of the size between $150 and $250 million (for the fantasy film A Wrinkle in Time).
- She is the creator, director and co-writer of the miniseries When They See Us which is based on 1989 Central Park jogger case.
- Visit our site for more updates.
Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.
I’m a prison abolitionist because the prison system as it is set up is just not working. It’s horrible.