Born on 21 April 1983, Gugu Mbatha-Raw is an English actress best known for her role as Kelly in Black Mirror and Plumette in Beauty and the Beast. Working in British television and stage productions, she gained prominence on the Doctor Who series as Tish Jones, sister of Martha Jones. She was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2017 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for her services to Drama. For more information, read the article below.
Before Fame: In 2001, she moved to London to train at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw Parents/Ethnicity/Religion
Born in Oxford, she is the daughter of Patrick Mbatha, a South African doctor and Anne Raw, an English nurse. She grew up in Witney. Her forename is the shortened version of “Gugulethu”, a contraction of igugu lethu, which means “our pride” in Xhosa.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw Affair/Dating
Profile / Wiki / Information
- Full Name: Gugulethu Sophia Mbatha-Raw
- Nicknames: Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- Birthday: 21 April 1983
- Age: 34 years old
- Birthplace: Oxford, England
- Education: Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
- Profession: Actress
- Nationality: English
- Ethnicity/Race: Her father is South African and her mother is Englidh
- Religion: Not Available
- Zodiac: Cancer
- Spouse/Wife: Not Available
- Children: Not Available
- Net Worth: Not Available
- Height: 5 feet 4 inches
- Weight: 54 kg
- Feet Size: 7
- Dress Size: 4 (US)
- Shoe Size: 7
- Chest Size: 34 inches
- Waist Size: 24 inches
- Hip Size: 34 inches
- Bra Size/ Breast Size: 32B
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Black
Trivia/ Facts that you probably didn’t know
- Her name is pronounced “Goo-Goo mBAH-tah Raw”. Her birth name, “Gugulethu”, is a contraction of “igugu lethu”, that means “Our Pride” in Zulu.
- She was one of the eight women honored at the 2014 ELLE Women in Hollywood Awards for their creative contributions to the world of film.
- She was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2017 Queen’s Birthday Honours List for her services to Drama.
I try not to limit myself. The actors that inspire me are the comedians and the people able to shape-shift into different roles and into different media. That ensures your longevity as an artist and prevents you from getting bored with yourself and, hopefully, prevents people from getting bored with you.
As a biracial girl growing up in England, I’d never really seen any historical characters who looked like me depicted on film before that weren’t being brutalized or playing slaves.